Activities and Volunteering
Our comprehensive activities programme gives pupils the opportunity to enjoy enriching pursuits that extend and develop their skills, pushing the boundaries of their capabilities. Each term, they are given the freedom and flexibility to choose from an extensive range of activities; whether they are creative, academic, curious, active or simply looking to try something new. Every Wednesday afternoon, students take part in their chosen activity, through a variety of clubs, forums and societies. From Critical Thinking to Cardiovascular Training, Shooting to Sustainable Fashion – there is an activity for every passion.
Our Lower Sixth Form students can also opt to do a short course in Volunteering and Service on a Wednesday afternoon, combining the more practical aspect of volunteering, in which students find their own placements, and build a portfolio of written theory work. Our volunteering programme not only cultivates independence and self-discipline but also strengthens the community spirit that characterises all that we do at Sutton Valence. Some examples of recent volunteering placements include:
- Assisting in care homes for the elderly
- Teaching assistant in primary, preparatory and nursery schools
- Working in charity shops
- Work within charitable organisations doing administrative work
- Undertaking gardening projects within organisations such as schools and care homes where such projects are not affordable for the institution
- Litter picking around the village
- Students have also worked at various sports clubs and other venues on a voluntary basis outside of School time.