Sutton Valence has a fantastic PE and Games department, with proficiency in all the major sports and beyond. A bold statement, but one that we try to live up to everyday.
The department is busy and vibrant, providing a framework that will develop club stalwarts, as well as internationals, alongside offering opportunities for engagement in sport as an activity. Through the Sutton Valence ‘Blue’ (hyperlink) the School gives equal recognition to those who captain or lead in C teams, as it does to those of first teams.
With expert coaching for all ages, we provide the opportunity for pupils to discover their true potential, whilst ensuring that those of all abilities are able to develop a love of sport that will enhance their lives, long after they have left Sutton Valence School.
This is regularly achieved, invariably fielding two thirds of the School on weekend and mid-week fixtures. Pupils benefit from an enthusiastic and well-qualified staff, who give freely of their time to ensure that the pupils get the best of our expertise and encouragement.
First rate facilities assist us in doing what we do best: teach, coach, support and develop the pupils in their sporting endeavours.
What we offer our sportsmen and women:
- Our scholarship programme recognises the value talented young men and women bring to our community. Sports scholars benefit from structured training programmes, but an important by-product of this means all our pupils have access to the same coaching. In return, we have high expectations of our scholars commitment to sport and their academic work, leadership and behaviour;
- Identified pupils form our Talented Athlete group and from this stems our mentoring programme, with pupils taking on the role of peer coaching and mentoring;
- Staff mentors give specific advice to pupils about their specialist areas. Each scholar is assigned a mentor;
- Guest speakers advise on diet and nutrition, physiotherapy, looking after injuries, over-training and sports psychology;
- One to one coaching is available at a time that does not interfere with the academic programme;
- An active touring programme;
- Injury management and rehabilitation;
- Strength and conditioning coaching;
- External coaches to supplement our own expertise.
As I hope this page suggests, we take our sport seriously and are always looking to stretch ourselves and make improvements in the way in which we develop our pupils and compete. At Sutton Valence School we strive to engender an interest amongst the pupils and to have a sense of pride in the school teams, their performances and outcomes.